Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Countdown Begins!

Bobby - Judy - Za - Fig - Nuss - Phil of the Forrest - Lynn
(And yes, that is Nuss saying a big "Rolllll Tide")

Well... They are speaking of "discharge", estimated within the next 2-4 days... YIKES!!! They conducted an esophagial dialation yesterday, which did open up his blocked esophagus and he is back on food & drink orally! He is still receiving the TPN nutrition through an IV to ensure proper nutrition because his gastro-muscles don't seem to be fully functioning so he loses his appetite very quickly... But they did take him off the the amioderon drip & he is receiving that medication orally. Being able to eat & take medication orally is the first step towards discharge. I am very worried about his mobility though. The most he has walked is 200 feet with a walker... Probably wouldn't help him get up & down those steep steps to his condo. I spoke to him this morning, and he sounded okay - He said he was "still real beat up", but wasn't overly grouchy with me. He did describe to me about his esophagus & gastro muscles, so he seemed very oriented. He also said he was still weak physically, and thought he needed to get moving a little more because walking wasn't his strong point. He was the one that first mentioned discharge, so I hung up quickly after and called the nurse who confirmed the plans.

AND - The social worker called Mom to talk about aftercare plans since discharge is looming. Hugh Thomas (on staff at The Foundry) is going to return the social worker's call to discuss what shape he needs to be in to enter The Foundry's program, and hopefully she will have some recommendations. Let me back up... We are crossing our fingers that he accepts treatment with The Foundry, but he does need to be in decent physical shape in order to live there - Therefore, before The Foundry there may be an aftercare program (kind of like assisted living, but for people of all ages) that would have medical staff & physical therapists to work with his strength, etc. That way he wouldn't go back to his condo alone... I'm hoping we can avoid that at all costs! We are researching our options...

It seems like Jesse & I are coming back at a good time after all! We are still requesting the Doctor's conference either Sunday or Monday. I had the nurse give Dad a letter I had prepared for him talking about "life after the hospital", and what we have done while he has been there - So I am anxious to see his attitude after reading that letter (it's a little touchy)...

Love you! Hals


1 comment:

  1. WOnderful news! Give your Dad a squeeze from all of the Peels when you see him!

    ReplyDelete